Home       About       Books       Blog       Recipes       Media       Contact

Friday, June 14, 2013

Fork It Up Fridays

Hi! Welcome to Fork it Up Fridays! Each Friday, I share a delicious recipe that I've tried and enjoyed. Some may be a family favorite while others may be something my sister or daughter passed on to me. Hope you enjoy!

Today I'm sharing with you my family's favorite macaroni and cheese recipe. This one dates back to the 1940's and is from the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. I'm posting the original recipe, but I usually lighten it up my using low fat milk instead of the cream and also using low fat cheese (we like sharp cheddar). Hope you enjoy!

Fannie Farmer's Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:

8 oz macaroni
4 tbsp. butter
4 tbsp. flour
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
1/2 tsp. salt
Fresh ground black pepper, to taste
2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 cup breadcrumbs, buttered

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cook and drain macaroni according to package directions; set aside.

In large saucepan melt butter. Add flour mixed with salt and pepper using a whisk to stir until well blended. Pour milk and cream in gradually, stirring constantly. Bring to boiling point and boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, for 10 minutes. Add shredded cheddar little by little and simmer an additional 5 minutes, or until cheese melts. Turn off flame.

Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce. Transfer macaroni to a buttered baking dish. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.

Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.

Stop in next week for another great recipe! Until then, come by on Tuesday and see what I'm up to!

xoxo - Jenna


No comments: