Home       About       Books       Blog       Recipes       Media       Contact

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Summer Colds

Yep, you guessed it. End of July and I've got a summer cold. It started out as a sore throat, which I attributed to snoring probably sleeping with my mouth open. But on the third day, the dreaded cough started. And the runny nose, post-nasal drip, and every other wonderful thing that a cold can produce.

My family has kept their distance from me. I'm getting the "air kiss" hello and goodbye. I've gone nowhere, afraid of spreading my germs. On a good note, they're not letting me touch the clean dishes so I've been off duty for emptying the dishwasher.

I've tried every over-the-counter medication there is. Stacks of tissues have set up home on my nightstand. I keep a big glass of water handy for nighttime, when things are at their worst. My daytime hours are scattered with coughing fits that bring tears to my eyes. These episodes increase in severity at nighttime when lying down. I've tried sleeping sitting up, adding more pillows and sleeping with a cough drop in my mouth, which actually works although it's a bit scary to think of the consequences.

With each passing day, I was turning more zombie-like. I couldn't handle one more night without sleep, then trying to work the next day. In a desperate moment, I Googled, "how to stop an incessant cough." I found a remedy for honey and tea, neither of which I like. Gargle with salt water was a suggestion, but I'm a failure at gargling. Ads appeared for throat lozenges.

Finally, while digging deep, I found a home-style remedy. I  told my family what I was going to do. They rolled their eyes back so far in their head, I thought they'd be able to see their brains. Then came the hysterical laughter. I gave them a friendly hand gesture then stomped off to the bathroom.

Guess what??? They remedy was quick, easy, and worked like a charm. For the first time in a week, I slept the whole night with only two short coughing jigs. Want to know the secret? I'll share if you don't laugh. Okay, I'll share anyway.

Before bed, slather the bottom of your feet generously with Vicks' VapoRub, then apply socks. Yes, you smart alecs out there chuckling, it works. For real! Okay, so you might not smell that terrific,but when you get to the point of needing sleep and not coughing, you'll try it.

How about you? Have you found any quirky remedies that worked for you? Please share.

Thanks for stopping by!

xoxo - Jenna

2 comments:

Kristina Knight said...

On your *feet*? That's wild - but I'm sooo going to try this next time I get a cold! So glad you're feeling better, Jenna!

Unknown said...

I know! But I'm telling you, it works. I was getting desperate for a decent night's sleep.

Thanks for stopping by, Kristi!