Home       About       Books       Blog       Recipes       Media       Contact

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Flower Power

I don't know where all of you live, but here in Southeast Michigan, USA, May is the month for planting flowers. We're told to wait until after Mother's Day so the threat of frost is gone. But after the long cold winter where everything is brown, the itch to fill our flower beds and patio pots with beautiful blooms is at an all time high.

I've lived in this area most of my life. You'd think that after so many years of this May planting ritual that the excitement would die down. Not so. The day before Mother's Day, I can be found at any of the local nurseries. I love the first step inside the greenhouse when you get that first look at all the colors. Oh, the choices. I tend to lose my mind a bit (I know, there's not much there anymore!). Impatiens, begonias and geraniums in brilliant colors beckon me to buy them. Pick me! Pick me!

The nursery that I go to most often is about 15 minutes away from my house. It's a beautiful drive through the country that I always enjoy. When my children were little, the nursery had baby animals that the kids could touch. Great memories!

This year, I've decided to go with a theme for my patio. I've chosen plants that have pink, purple and white flowers. Maybe later in the summer, I'll share a photo.

How about you? Do you enjoy working in the garden?

Join me for Fork It Up Fridays where I'll share a favorite recipe.

No comments: